Pie Dough for a Sweet Pie
Pie Dough for a Sweet Pie (9 inch deep dish)
2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, chilled
2 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs water
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Place some of the dry ingredients into a Food Processor with the chopping blade. Add the hard butter and process till the butter is made into small balls within the flour mixture (a very short time). Return all the butter mixture to the mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Make a well and add the egg yolk, vanilla, water and lemon juice, and stir the liquid into the flour.
3. When done, the dough should be soft enough to gather into a ball but not stick to the fingers or the bowl.
4. Cover with cling wrap and allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Bring both halves to room temperature by placing into microwave oven for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
6. Lay out two wax paper sheets two feet long and overlap slightly. Tape together using scotch tape. Tape all corners down to a flat counter or table (not a tile counter). Note: Use clear packing tape if you have it instead of the scotch tape.
7. Using a Pastry roller, roll dough from the center of the ball going outward. You will end up with a circular flat dough larger than the pie dish.
8. Peel up the taped corners of the wax paper and turn it over the 9 inch Pyrex deep dish pie pan. Press down the center and other areas making sure that the pie shell is not short. It should be enough to hang over the sides. Peel back on the wax paper leaving the shell in the pie dish.
NOTE: Do not discard the wax paper. You can use it again. Just fold it up and store away with your cookie sheets.
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Ready in 45 minutes
Yield one 9 inch pie shell
Author: Chef Allan Arkin